Sunday, January 11, 2009

Controlling Marty, But Getting Played

“We got a target of opportunity. Kill him and we get the standard payment in diamonds.”

Marty doesn’t say anything.

Because this is Marty.

I bus over to the target’s location, east of the Crash Site. On the map, the target’s marker is fast on the move. His script is to Nascar around the map. The center is a bit elevated with rocks to assist my perching effectiveness. By eyes alone I can make out three cars, with the second being the target since it’s the only Jeep.

With the sniper rifle, I must have killed the target at least a dozen times. I have a separate Save just for this dude.

There are many ways to kill him. SAW the car. Go Somalia on the target and Black Hawk Down it with an RPG. Step onto the road, shoot out the vehicle's windshield and then throw a grenade inside as it drives past. I like using the AS50 because the bullet is powerful enough to take out the target and the car door.

Taking out a baddie in a moving vehicle is oh satisfaction. Baddies in such configurations have an advantage over your foot-soldiering. They can one-hit kill you with a grill to the face. They narrow your targeting area - if you’re aiming for the soft and spongy and not steel. But you are the puny that slays the colossus.

The target’s purpose is singular, but his execution is random. Sometimes he is part of a convoy. Sometimes he is in an assault car. Sometimes he is the driver, sometimes the backseat passenger.

After reloading my save for the dozenth time, I sprint straight to the rock, zoom on the area the target will be coming from, and wait. And wait. And wait.

“Marty. Map. Now.”

From the map I can see the target is indeed coming from the right direction, but his marker is moving at the speed of a geriatric. I zoom back onto the road and see that the target isn’t even in a vehicle. He is forkin' running down the road.

No comments: